Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Colca Canyon and Machu Picchu

And here are the wild vicuñas that the sign warned about.  They are part of the llama/camel family, and they look funny with their long necks when they run
Since Megan's friend Kris came all the way down to Peru to visit, these last two weeks have been filled with some real tourism, a sort of vacation within a vacation.  The first trip was to Colca Canyon, supposedly bigger than the Grand Canyon.  Only a two day trip, but it was with a tour group, so they kept us so busy that it seemed (nicely) much longer than 2 days. The big draw here is the condors.  My photos aren't that good, but I really enjoyed how relaxing it was to sit in the sun and watch the condors soar over the canyon, very peaceful.
The mighty condors scavenging in the Colca Canyon 
Colca Canyon with terraces that might be pre-Incan??? 
Colca Canyon zoom in
In a bar in Cusco, watching and rooting for Argentina in the final game of the World Cup.  I love Messi's style of play.  What an humble, unassuming dude for being such a superstar  
Kris drinking a fruity beverage in Cusco behind her are two bulls placed on the roof for protection of the house 
zoom in of the bulls
The next trip was the big one, Machu Picchu.  At the last minute, I signed up to do a 5 day hiking/camping trip, which is an alternative to the Inca Trail, called Salkantay.  The hike is really four days and 37 miles to get to a town right outside of Machu Picchu called Agua Calientes.  Then the final day is taking the bus up the hill to Machu Picchu.  The alternative route seemed much more appealing to me because our group of 10 was basically alone on the trail.  I've never been on a hiking trip that was supported and guided.  We had two guides and 8 other porters and cooks.  I didn't know how I felt about a supported trip, but the food was incredible and the guides were amazing, so I enjoyed the luxury and I couldn't even think of anything to complain about. 
The group with guides and staff
First day, climbing to Salkantay pass
Day one was the hardest as we had to get over our highest point Salkantay pass, which is 15,100 feet high, three times the height of little baby, mile-high Denver.  The altitude got to me as we got closer to the top, and I was glad to have the trekking poles and the coca leaves because my head was swimming.  The group was made up of 10 people, 8 Americans and 2 Uruguayans, but even the Uruguayans spoke English, and the first language of all of the staff was Quechua, so my Spanish instruction looked like it would take a week off, but the two guides were really nice to me and they talked to me in Spanish as much as possible. 
Saw a lot of hard working burros and horses.  These were on their way back down the hill after having carried supplies up the hill
Group photo at Salkantay pass
Night 3 was the only real problem.  It was dark and I was trying to find a place to piss without anyone noticing, so I walked behind the small dining area, and I tried to take a step down, but that first step was a doozy, and I fell head-first somewhere between 10-15 feet off of a wall.  Thankfully, I landed as best as could be expected.  I didn't have any obvious damage with the exception of my knee.  I didn't bang it on the rock, but I sprained it pretty badly. I was worried that I partially tore my ACL, but hopefully, that isn't the case.  I was able to finish the last day of hiking and then a day of hiking around Machu Picchu.  Now, I'm back in our apartment in Arequipa, and I'm limping around, thinking about trying to get some physical therapy, so this doesn't become a nagging problem for years to come. 

Me stumbling with my new knee bandage.  Other than the fall, this was such a great campsite with views of Machu Picchu in the back
First one in my group to get to Machu Picchu (suckers)

Me with Simon and Machu Picchu

Reynaldo goofing

Megan had been spending some much needed time with Kris in Cusco while I was hiking, but Megan met me on the top of Machu Picchu. Such a nice way to be reunited. 

We found each other in the Inca ruins

2 comments:

  1. If you'd like more information on the company that I went with, follow this link.

    http://www.alpacaexpeditions.com/salkantay-trek-tours-salcantay-machupicchu-expeditions-travel-to-machu-picchu.html#overview

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an amazing trip! Hope your knee is okay.

    ReplyDelete